New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Guitarist looking to join, start intelligent metal band by Sean on Apr 26,2007 3:03pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 3:03pm
My name is Sean. I live in Lincoln, RI, but spend some of my time in Hadley, MA. I just graduated as a music major with a focus in sound recording from UMass Lowell. I've been playing guitar for about 9 years now. I know my jazz and classical theory. I'm looking to join a band or to find someone to write with, but basically I've got lots of song ideas I want to work with others on. My main influences are Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah, In Flames, Alice in Chains, Nevermore, At the Gates, Darkane, Nintendo, Iniquity, Sentenced and Susperia. I like to write songs that include a variety of elements like clean singing and harmonies, quiet acoustic parts, extremely brutal riffs, swedish thrashing, odd times and weird subdivisions, a wide range of death metal vox (gutteral, grindy, black metal-y), but most importantly always a feeling of bleakness, evilness or epicness. I'm into death, progressive, technical, thrash, black metal and grindcore. I want to create intelligent metal that takes you on a journey, not caveman rock. I'm dying to get back onstage. If need be and my computer willing, I may be able to scrape together a recording of my last project. Also I don't really want to drive hours to band practice. Email me epiphone-71@cox.net

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Apr 26,2007 3:09pm
Intelligent Metal?
Intellicore?
Just a smidge pretentious

but seriously i dont know if Hadley is a place to look for music like that. Western MA doesnt have much of a scene for what you're trying to do. Trust me, I live like 10 minutes from Hadley. I dont know much about RI. If i had the time to start up a project I would hit ya up.

toggletoggle post by Mess at Apr 26,2007 3:09pm
i'm wicked smahhhhht

toggletoggle post by Dwellingsickness at Apr 26,2007 3:17pm
Intellicore sounds pretty gay

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 3:17pm
yeah I kinda got the feeling that things happened slower out west. But hey, thats where I work. There's gotta be other immigrants like me or at least home schooled kids.

No intellicore. I'm dead sick of breakdowns and uncreased baseball caps. I want to play smart challenging metal. Bands like Porcupine Tree and Opeth pull it off. Heck, even Dave Mustaine has some smart shit to say, sometimes. He swept on VH1's rock and roll jeopardy lol.

toggletoggle post by Mess at Apr 26,2007 3:19pm
Dwellingsickness said:
Intellicore sounds pretty gay

hahaha i've used that "intellicore" word with some band on here before. i think it was intelligrind? i don't know but they were trying to say they had a different edge. hilarious.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 26,2007 3:24pm
my brother goes to UMASS Lowell, you probably know him, he knows a lot of the people in the music program.

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 3:25pm
who's your brother?

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Apr 26,2007 3:26pm
sasquatch

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Apr 26,2007 3:27pm
mOe said:
sasquatch

LOL!

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 26,2007 3:30pm
haha well played. his name is Erik, he is very tall, long brown hair, no facial hair, plays bass in Sacreligion unreasonably well, big into metal.

toggletoggle post by c.DED at Apr 26,2007 3:36pm
"Just a smidge pretentious"

Thats a total understatement. This kid is implying all other forms of metal aren't as intelligent as the bands he listed.

And not one band listed is grind or real black metal.

"I want to create intelligent metal that takes you on a journey"

Thats just plain fucking silly. Satohdinn disapproves of this homoerotic journey.

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Apr 26,2007 3:37pm
email sent.

toggletoggle post by passerby‘er at Apr 26,2007 3:39pm
You sound like a formula for disaster. I've been down that road and it ain't pretty.

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 3:44pm
Satohdinn, you're right. That IS what I'm implying. That bands with nuance are smarter than balls to the wall 24/7. What I'm saying is that Emperor gives the listener a more highley developed aural experience than Marduk. I do like real black metal, just none of the "real" bands are my main influences. Plus I never said I like grind. I don't. I like grindcore. Check out iniquity.

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 3:50pm
oh and I forgot to mention I really like Extol as well. Big fan. ...can't believe I forgot to list them.

toggletoggle post by mortalis nli at Apr 26,2007 3:57pm
Sean said:
swedish thrashing

you mean half-thrashing?

toggletoggle post by BiTcHbAlLs at Apr 26,2007 4:04pm
This guy is an idiot. Please do not start a band,

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Apr 26,2007 4:04pm
"RTTP: Prepare to have your balls busted, n00b"

toggletoggle post by Dwellingsickness at Apr 26,2007 4:11pm
SacreligionNLI said:
"RTTP: Prepare to have your balls busted, n00b"

Rev needs to put that in the rotation immediately

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Apr 26,2007 4:12pm
sry...i'm a caveman hobby rocker.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Apr 26,2007 4:13pm
oh, come on guys I think he's learned his lesson

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 4:30pm
what lesson? I just don't want to settle for boring. What's the point of creating another shit band? I'm striving for excellence.

toggletoggle post by passerby‘er at Apr 26,2007 4:30pm
Yeah Noob!!!! Ha Ha!!!!

toggletoggle post by horror_tang  at Apr 26,2007 5:46pm
Are all the band photos going to be taken in a cemetary? Oh, and in black and white?

toggletoggle post by DerpityDoo at Apr 26,2007 7:19pm
Im down to play drums. I've been looking for a decent project to join.. ive been playing drums for about 9-10 years.. gave lessons out of bridgewater for a while. why the fuck not

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Apr 26,2007 8:35pm
send me an email derptydoo. It'd be nice to have a drummer who thinks about technique enough to give lessons.

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 26,2007 8:36pm
oops forgot to login, that anonymous post was me

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 26,2007 9:07pm
don't ask anyone from ghoul they and their fans are a bunch of numbskulls!

toggletoggle post by Mike_Giallo   at Apr 26,2007 9:12pm
the_reverend said:

Hey rev. when did you turn into Tyler?

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Apr 26,2007 9:38pm
Sean said:
what lesson? I just don't want to settle for boring. What's the point of creating another shit band? I'm striving for excellence.

You strive for excellence? I'm striving for arrogance, sounds like a perfect match.

toggletoggle post by y_ddraig_goch  at Apr 27,2007 12:33am
if I was a better bass player and if you lived near me, i'd make a band with you.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 27,2007 1:54am
Sean said:
Satohdinn, you're right. That IS what I'm implying. That bands with nuance are smarter than balls to the wall 24/7. What I'm saying is that Emperor gives the listener a more highley developed aural experience than Marduk. I do like real black metal, just none of the "real" bands are my main influences. Plus I never said I like grind. I don't. I like grindcore. Check out iniquity.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 27,2007 2:34am
Why the fuck am I wasting time on college when I could be listening to intelligent metal?

The next time I interview for a job I should just bring a sack full of Dream Theater, Opeth and Porcupine Tree albums and dump them on the table when the interviewer asks about my educational background.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Apr 27,2007 2:48am
BobNOMAAMRooney nli said:
Why the fuck am I wasting time on college when I could be listening to intelligent metal?

The next time I interview for a job I should just bring a sack full of Dream Theater, Opeth and Porcupine Tree albums and dump them on the table when the interviewer asks about my educational background.

he said intelligent metal. Those bands are clearly fruit-rollup metal.

toggletoggle post by horror_tang  at Apr 27,2007 7:20am
A short test for Mr. intelligent (no calculator or research materials allowed)

1. What is the square root of 2?

2. What is the square root of 3?

3. What are the two smallest components of a living cell (as known to date)?

4. How many lumbar disk are present in the human spine?

5. During the late 1800's, which two groups of immigrants were most widely discriminated against?

6. Why were they discriminated against?

7. Who invented to telephone?

8. Who invented the Cotten Gin?

9. Who is considered by most to be the Father of the Blues?

10. What famous doctor once injected and praised the benefits of cocaine?

toggletoggle post by C.DEAD at Apr 27,2007 9:39am
"Plus I never said I like grind. I don't. I like grindcore. Check out iniquity. "

You my friend, don't know what you are talking about. Iniquity grindCORE? How are they grindcore? They were ALWAYS a sub par death metal band. Where the fuck do you get your information? Do you know of one real grindcore band? Have you heard of Terrorizer? Or the first Napalm Death or Repulsion or Dead Infection or old Regurgitiate or possibly even the first Carcass?

You honestly thought i was implying there was a difference between grind or grindcore? Wow.

You are the most intelligent metal head i know.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Apr 27,2007 9:43am
has anyone ever noticed how band classifieds turn into flame wars about sub genre classification?

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 27,2007 10:32am
haha i know right. the dude was making an example and he is strung up for it.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Apr 27,2007 10:40am
the amount of shit I gave him is pretty fuckin minimal compared to what everyone else said

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 27,2007 11:42am
Thank you DrewBlood@Work and Yeti!

C.DEAD - You'd be correct if this was 10+ years ago, but shit evolves. You likely think all thrash bands have to sound like kill em all too. By grindcore I mean death metal that is more spastic and dissonant. Corpsegrinder cannibal corpse and Terminally Your Aborted Ghost - grindcore, Six Feet Under and Bolthrower - death metal.

horror tang - You don't understand at all. I'm not trying to create history channel sponsored fact metal. The music itself should inspire. And by the way, Freud loved the snow.

The word intelligent is sure making a lot of pitters touchy. I'm guessing some saw first grade for a second or third time. Look, all I'm saying is that I want to play music that gets my mind going. Relax...

toggletoggle post by Mike_Giallo   at Apr 27,2007 11:56am
horror_tang said:

3. What are the two smallest components of a living cell (as known to date)?

I remember oen time we were playing a show together and we were all fucked up and you asked Tyler that question. I was so dumbfounded as to what was going on.

toggletoggle post by C.DEAD at Apr 27,2007 12:07pm
I would respond to that incredibly ignorant staement above, but then i would be just be flogging a dead horse. Theres no point.

You are the most educated metal head i know.

toggletoggle post by Granny_Monster at Apr 27,2007 12:09pm
the_reverend said:

A'blah ha ha ha

toggletoggle post by babyshaker nli at Apr 27,2007 12:10pm
Sean said:
Thank you DrewBlood@Work and Yeti!

C.DEAD - You'd be correct if this was 10+ years ago, but shit evolves. You likely think all thrash bands have to sound like kill em all too. By grindcore I mean death metal that is more spastic and dissonant. Corpsegrinder cannibal corpse and Terminally Your Aborted Ghost - grindcore, Six Feet Under and Bolthrower - death metal.

horror tang - You don't understand at all. I'm not trying to create history channel sponsored fact metal. The music itself should inspire. And by the way, Freud loved the snow.

The word intelligent is sure making a lot of pitters touchy. I'm guessing some saw first grade for a second or third time. Look, all I'm saying is that I want to play music that gets my mind going. Relax...

did you seriously just call corpse grinder era cannibal corpse grindcore?

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Apr 27,2007 12:15pm
Duhhhh, my band is dumb. We need to get our learn on. I like to "pit" to 3 chord tuff breakdowns.

Seriously dude, people are giving you shit for being pretentious, not that you want to start a technical metal band. Perhaps if you replace "intelligent" with "technical" you will not get as much shit.

But then again, you just referred to SFU as "death metal" so there may be no hope for you at all.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 27,2007 12:16pm
Guys, guys, guys, calm down. You shouldn't be so quick to jump on this dude's case. Honestly, how many of you have a music degree from THE Umass Lowell?

And how many of you turned that degree into a sweet job at Daddy's Junky Music selling cheap Stratocaster knockoffs to MILFs looking for the perfect gift for little Jimmy from the first marriage's 12th birthday?

I don't see any hands up you punk bitch motherfuckers.

You just don't understand how to go on an intelligent journey through the power of metal, get a life HATERRRRRZZ

toggletoggle post by INFECT  at Apr 27,2007 1:06pm
this thread clearly illustrates how so many shit bands get started; tech dorks get into metal the wrong way around, i.e. listening to derivative wank-core based solely on how technical and challenging it is without paying any mind to how this "shit evolves" or what it evolved from... news flash, despite the many talented musicians that use metal as a vehicle to show the world how awesome they are, metal has never been and never will be primarily about technical virtuosity; look at all the classic albums that have stood the test of time, many are abysmally sloppily performed/recorded, yet, the music has SUBSTANCE, it conveys feeling or ideas or whatever you want to call it, there is something that is being expressed that is more subtle and far more important than sweep arpeggios and diminished minor mixolydian modal anus licking...
there are some very very intelligent people who write and play music that would be defined by this guy here as "caveman rock" ex. i took an avant garde film course a few semesters back, and i later found out that the TA with whom i had engaged in many discussions on the subtlties of fassbinder and godart etc. was in a little band called upsidedown cross...

toggletoggle post by SM Nose Chief at Apr 27,2007 1:09pm
INFECT said:
this thread clearly illustrates how so many shit bands get started; tech dorks get into metal the wrong way around, i.e. listening to derivative wank-core based solely on how technical and challenging it is without paying any mind to how this "shit evolves" or what it evolved from... news flash, despite the many talented musicians that use metal as a vehicle to show the world how awesome they are, metal has never been and never will be primarily about technical virtuosity; look at all the classic albums that have stood the test of time, many are abysmally sloppily performed/recorded, yet, the music has SUBSTANCE, it conveys feeling or ideas or whatever you want to call it, there is something that is being expressed that is more subtle and far more important than sweep arpeggios and diminished minor mixolydian modal anus licking...
there are some very very intelligent people who write and play music that would be defined by this guy here as "caveman rock" ex. i took an avant garde film course a few semesters back, and i later found out that the TA with whom i had engaged in many discussions on the subtlties of fassbinder and godart etc. was in a little band called upsidedown cross...

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 27,2007 1:31pm
INFECT said:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Apr 27,2007 1:50pm
Four chords is all you need, really.

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 27,2007 2:24pm
You've got me all wrong. I couldn't give a fuck how difficult the music is to play, nor am I impressed much with wankery soloing. To me its the musical equivalent of masterbating. The complexities that interest me have nothing to do with the challenge to my left hand, but consist rather of the combination of tones that create a strong emotion response. Sure, a certain level of maturity needs to be present in your playing in order to successfully pull this off, but its really more about the intention and thought put into the composition that thrills me. Just hammering a bar chord is fucking baby's work. I want variation. If you're not thinking about what you're doing and why, you're creating shit.

toggletoggle post by passerby‘er at Apr 27,2007 3:29pm
Sean=nOOb
beat it.....you don't belong wanker

toggletoggle post by Sean  at Apr 27,2007 3:50pm
ooh you really pwnzord me. Dork

Metal isn't about belonging, thats hardcore. Metal is about pushing the boundaries.

toggletoggle post by mOe  at Apr 27,2007 3:51pm
dont pay any attention to him Sean...he's.....special

toggletoggle post by Mike_Giallo   at Apr 27,2007 4:02pm
Sean said:
ooh you really pwnzord me. Dork

Metal isn't about belonging, thats hardcore. Metal is about pushing the boundaries.

OH MAN! TOTAL HXC BURNAGE!!!

toggletoggle post by passerby‘er at Apr 27,2007 4:15pm
Hey Sean- Your vagina hurts, huh. Don't worry it'll go away in week. Your ideas about metal make me sick.

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at Apr 27,2007 4:16pm
Give Sean a break.

toggletoggle post by passerby‘er at Apr 27,2007 4:32pm
OK. Sorry Sean.

toggletoggle post by horror_tang  at Apr 27,2007 6:54pm

toggletoggle post by CaptainCleanoff at Apr 27,2007 7:24pm
Intelligent and metal in the same sentence?? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][9:49:42pm May 22,2024
load time 0.02431 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]