New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by ValkyrieScreams at 2007-04-18 12:07:22
Nuclear Winter said:
this thread really illustrates the power the media has over the American mind. Why do you all care so much? Is it the body count?

Body count, yes, probably...
But I'd say it is more the fact that this happened in a school setting, a place we generally associate with safety, hope and the foundation for our future. This did not happen in a war zone. These bodies were not casualties of gang disputes. They were not participating in any reckless behavior. The fact that has captured everyone's attention and that will always capture people's attention, is that the victims happen to meet our cultural standard for innocence. That is to say, they did not deserve to die. Whether or not it is fair or correct to do so, the public eye almost always makes a judgment about every "victim" just as quickly as it makes a decision about the perpetrator of the crime. If the public thinks that the victim was doing something... or anything even far reached... that contributed to their victimization, they tend to get the brush-off. Personally, I think it is precisely this phenomenon (the reaction) that interests me so much about something like this.
[default homepage] [print][4:49:35am May 20,2024
load time 0.00698 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]