New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Username:
SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by ShadowSD at 2006-09-25 22:04:29
PatMeebles said:
ShadowSD said:
Today, the Republican party, in terms of thought, politics, and polity, is something completely different. It consists merely of neo-conservative think tanks of the rich and entitled (none of whose families will ever see military service) that change foreign and domestic policy with the sole purpose of benefitting big business, and whoever they can trick into following their propoganda. Most of the people they trick are religious fundamentalists, who are vulnerable due to their zealotry, but after enough endless propoganda, many other more well-adjusted and well-read people slowly began to sympathize with and defend their positions, and that's what we've seen over the last five years. Sadly enough, it is a mirror image of what we see in the Middle East with the terrorist movement: a minority of rich and entitled idealogues who want to change policy (Bin Laden/Zawahiri/etc.), and whoever they can trick into following their propoganda. Most of the people they trick are religious fundamentalists, who are vulnerable due their zealotry, but after enough endless propoganda, many other more well-adjusted and well-read people slowly begin to sympathize with and defend their positions, and that's what we've seen over the last five years.

Of course, Joe Leiberman getting kicked out of the Democrats has no effect on this statement whatsoever. Nope. not at all.

You'll have to explain this one further, I'm not sure I see your point. And was Lieberman kicked out of the Democratic party in the last few days when I haven't been on top of the news? Last I heard, he still is a member of the party, still holds his committee positions, and if he wins as an independent, will still be welcome as a Democrat (whether he chooses to accept that or not). Personally, I think he should be kicked out for ignoring his own party's primary. Right now, with Republican Schlesinger taking 4% of the vote, Lamont is essentially taking on Lieberman for the second time in a two man race. Lamont has to win twice to get the seat, and only has to lose once to be out of it for good, while Lieberman only has to win once, and can afford to lose the first time. There's something very anti-democracy about that.

PatMeebles said:
And, you forget how many differing opinions there are when it comes illegal immigration, spending, etc.

I don't dispute that there are differing opinions at the lower levels. My point is the RNC leadership, which guides the political message and policy in lockstep, will never let any of those opinions have any impact. As long as we have their candidate as President, spending will not be reduced, and the Republican party already put the final nail in the fiscal responsibility reputation they had for so long by re-electing Bush after he's been the most fiscally irresponisble leader in the history of the world.

Immigration is the best example that the lack of Republican diversity exists where the real decisions are made, because immigration is an issue that most conservative voters at the grassroots disagree with big business. Guess who wins? Big business, the rich and elite, who the Republican leadership belongs to. Now, why do pro-border patrol voters continue to follow the kind of party leadership who will NEVER enforce the border? As I said earlier, it's for the same reason Republican voters outside of the rich and elite are voting against their own economic self-interest all the time: propaganda.

PatMeebles said:
Republicans go from Lincoln Chaffee to Tom Coburn. Democrats go from Tom Harkin to Zell Mil... oh wait, Democrats hate him, too. Gee, it's almost like Republicans actually have a better grasp on "big tent" politics than Democrats do.

As I've pointed out, the Republican diversity is not reflected at the top of the chain, where all the real decisions are made, and thus the views of most Republican voters are not being echoed in policy, even with a Republican President and Congress. Looking at the top of the Democratic chain though in the last several years, one could point out a similar problem; Gore/Lieberman and Kerry all ran as neutered centrists that didn't represent the interests of most their own voters either. Only now, with Democratic voters' rejection of Lieberman, can one suggest that the Democratic voters are actually being represented, the first step towards presenting an actual alternative to a Republican party of candidates that itself continues to polarize, to the point where the last moderates like Lincoln Chafee are on the verge of extinction this year.

[default homepage] [print][6:52:21pm Jun 02,2024
load time 0.00725 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]